Delicious Vegan Recipes for Fall
In celebration of World Vegan Day we are sharing some lip smacking recipes from some of our very favourite vegan chefs.
ZAM Smoothie Bowl
This ZAM smoothie bowl created for Matt & Nat for World Vegan Day is creamy, sweet, tart and loaded with antioxidants!
Pomegranate Raspberry Nice Cream Ingredients:
- 3 frozen bananas cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp pomegranate powder
- 1 tbsp goji berry powder
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup vanilla plant milk
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until the ingredients begin to combine.
- Scrape the sides of the blender or food processor to incorporate any chunks of fruit or powder left behind and continue blending until smooth and creamy.
- Decorate with toppings and enjoy!
- shredded coconut
- hemp seeds
- banana slices
- crushed freeze-dried raspberries
- buckwheat groats
- pomegranate seeds
Carina Zimmerman is one of the founders of TLB Music, an early childhood enrichment center located in New York City and the founder of The Bird Feed NYC, a blog dedicated to cruelty-free lifestyle, early childhood enrichment, NYC history and music history. She loves creating healthy, colorful food in her free time and smoothie bowls are one of her favorite things to make.
Zam smoothie bowl - Follow @thebirdfeednyc
Savoury vegan mushroom tacos with a twist.
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of granulated onions
- 2-3 tsp of coconut sugar
- 1-2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- Pinch is salt and black pepper
- Just add everything into a bowl and mix thoroughly until all the mushrooms are coated.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until desired texture.
- make tacos and add whatever toppings you want. Enjoy.
- 2 cups of chopped cucumbers
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/4 of a cup lime juice
- 1/4 of a cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
Just cute all your veggies and add everything into a bowl and mix well. Let it sit for at least an hour before serving.
These tacos contained kale, purple cabbage, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and used gluten free tortillas.
Makes 6 tacos
Mushroom tacos – Follow @edgarraaw
FALL HARVEST PANCAKES WITH WARM SPICED APPLES (SCHLEPP)
- 1tbsp ground flax/chia
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 mashed banana (or 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup plant milk/water (you may need 1 tbsp more)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour*
- 1/4 cup oat flour*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a squeeze of lemon
- a splash of water
- Whisk together ground flax and water, set aside
- Add flours, baking powder, coconut sugar in a bowl and mix well
- Combine mashed banana (or applesauce), flax egg and almond milk in a separate bowl
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir*
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium-low heat
- Add in pancake batter to the pan creating a round shape, cook the first side for 1-2 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface, flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes until golden brown
- Prepare spiced apples by mixing all ingredients in a small saucepan, cook over low heat for around 10 minutes until apples are soft and water has evaporated
- Serve together with dried fruits/nuts/coconut and even more maple syrup!
*Make your own buckwheat and oat flour by blending together dried buckwheat and rolled oats in a high speed blender
*Add more almond milk if it appears to be too thick, consistency should resemble a creamy smoothie, remember not to over-mix your batter!
Fall harvest pancakes – Follow @earthbowl
‘The Kari Bowl’ – Spicy Mushroom and Tomato Spaghetti
- 75g spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- ¼ vegetable stock cube
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 60g white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions then drain, but reserve some of the cooking water.
- Heat the olive oil (or a splash of water) in a medium pan over medium heat. Once warm add the tomato puree and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add a splash of water, the garlic and vegetable stock cube and cook for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the drained spaghetti and stir thoroughly, adding a little of the pasta water if necessary to loosen.
- Once warmed through, add the parsley, stir thoroughly and then serve the spaghetti in pasta bowl. Sprinkle on some chilli flakes, black pepper and nutritional yeast (if desired).
Kari bowl – Follow @veganbysomi
- 1 can jackfruit in brine (not the one in sweet syrup)
- 1.5 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2.5 tbsp gluten free tamari
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp organic ketchup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- Corn tortillas of choice
- Garnish with salsa of choice, vegan sour cream, cilantro and avocado
- 1 cup coconut smiles
- 3 tbsp wheat free tamari
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
For coconut bacon:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients together and spread evenly over baking sheet
- Bake in oven 7-12 minutes stirring frequently
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
For Jackfruit Mix:
- Open the can of jackfruit, drain excess water and rinse under cold water. Slice the jackfruit and set aside.
- Using a heavy-bottomed, pan, pan fry the onions with the coconut oil on medium- low heat until they are softened, translucent and lightly caramelized ( about 15-20 minutes). Add chopped garlic and fry off gently until soft and fragrant.
- Add the spices to the onion-garlic mixture. Fry them off gently, stirring the whole time, for a minute or so.
- Mix in the ketchup and wheat free tamari.
- Now add in the sliced jackfruit and stir well. Squash the jackfruit pieces with your mixing spoon so that the individual fibers separate more. Add the fresh cilantro and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Warm up your tacos, spoon in the jackfruit mixture and add your toppings and coconut bacon.
Chef Vanessa Percher
Copyright Chef Veganessa 2017
Tacos – Follow @veganessa